Perform Peripheral Intravenous Cannulation
Our Intravenous Cannulation workshop is designed to provide nurses / health care workers with the skills and knowledge required for routine blood collection.
IV cannulation is one of the most challenging skills a nurse must learn. This highly interactive course is designed to provide registered nurses and other healthcare workers with the knowledge and skills to undertake peripheral cannula insertion. Participants will have the opportunity for practice and assessment on a cannulation ‘model’ arm.
Title: Perform Peripheral Intravenous Cannulation
Nationally recognised unit of competency.
- This course requires you to have a good understanding of written, verbal and spoken English and maths (known as language, literacy and numeracy ‘LLN’). All students who enrol in a course are required to undertake TRED College’s LLN assessment.
- While not a prerequisite, we strongly recommend all students be immunised for Hepatitis A and B before enrolling in the course.
- You will also need to have the unit of competency Perform Blood Collection (HLTPAT002) or knowledge and skills associated with blood collection.
- Participants undertaking this unit will need the support of their workplace to be able to demonstrate skills learnt in training.
- Minimum of 18 years of age
In this interactive course participants will practice venepuncture using vacutainer, butterfly and needle and syringe methods of blood collection on a ‘model’ arm with an option to undertake a live bleed to provide registered nurses with the knowledge and skills to undertake peripheral cannula insertion.
- Nurse responsibilities
- Review of vascular system anatomy and physiology
- Selection of site and cannula
- Insertion techniques
- Common insertion issues
- Care of cannula site
HLTHPS009 Perform Peripheral Intravenous Cannulation
This course must cover all topics under the HLTHPS009 code and comply with all theoretical and practical assessment requirements.
On campus Face to Face.
Confidently Perform Peripheral Intravenous Cannulation.
$500 per student.
On-Campus Face-To-Face Short Course for Domestic Students.
Once you have completed our quick application form, we will be contacting you to qualify your details and complete your enrolment.
You are welcome to call our Study Coordinator Team on +61 2 9870 7688 with your questions. We are looking forward to build your career together.
6.5 Hours Short Course
Minimum of 18 years of age